Sunday 31 May 2015

Month of travels

Its been to long since I have written a blog and it is hard to think back of what I have been doing to be honest. With the weather getting better I am trying to make good use of Velma ( campervan ) and try to get out and about as much as I possible can. May especially is a month where I try to be home as little as I possibly can. 

At the beginning of May I visited Bala as I knew of a wonderful place to park, right by the edge of the lake. I intended to say overnight in order to get a sunset shot as well as a sunrise shot over the lake with the existing jetty as foreground interest. ( link to the parking place   https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.87492,-3.631791,3a,75y,272.97h,69.26t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKk4TVtR_-tnEhQZaThsEiA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en ). 

However, as soon as I parked up a man came over complaining that overnight parking wasnt allowed and for me to move on. I was not impressed as I just paid the fee for parking there. I stayed till sundown though in order to get some shots, felt however intimidated and to scared to stay the night although my parking ticket was valid till 12pm. Here are some shots I took. 




I so would have liked to stay longer but was worried about the man coming back in the middle of the night moving me on. I am really not sure what the problem is with staying on the car park overnight as I am not doing any harm, making noises or leaving rubbish behind. But well. The rules are the rules I guess. 

Mid May I went to one of my fave places on Wales. I revisited Anglesey in order to get some of the shots I had in the planning. A set of shots I wanted to get was the Menai Bridge and the Britannia Bridge at night and all lit up. It was hard going shooting that night as it was rather windy and raining. I had to keep stopping and cleaning my lens otherwise water bunnies would have ruined the shots. But I think I managed quite well considering. I found the Menai Bridge much more photogenic then the Britannia Bridge though. 





After the shots of the two Bridges I spent a couple of days at Red Wharf Bay. That was a lovely stay over. No one bothered you are had any issues with you staying overnight at the car park. I was also lucky that the weather improved considerably and I did manage to get some interesting shots of the boats and the coastal area. Scooby also loved it there as there was no restrictions against letting the dog on the beach. I think we both were in heaven lol. 





The end of May saw my birthday and as every year I booked a week holiday. I had planned to visit a place I never really been to in Wales. The Brecon Beacons always held a bit of a fascination for me, probably because its a bit further out then I normally travel and I never been to it. So for at least 5 days I was going to explore the area that used to be known as Brecknockshire, starting off with Buith Wells. 



After Buith Wells I followed the A470 down to a small village called Talgarth. Such a lovely place and so much to see. The views were just amazing and after a good exploration I found a lovely woodland walk with some really nice waterfalls. 









After Tregarth I at last come to Brecon itself. What a lovely place what was to visit. So much to see, starting with the church and ending with the canal. I walked along the canal a couple of times at various times during the day just to soak up the different atmosphere, but it will take time processing them all. I took so many images during my holiday in the Brecon Beacon that I hardly know where to start.  






I spent one night on the car park just outside the Storey Arms Education center, intending to climb Pen-Y-Fan and although I attempted it twice I did give it up as a bad attempt. My feet just didnt want to play fair during them two days and I so felt like Ariel, the little mermaid who not only lost her speach but also suffers pain with every step just so she can fish herself a prince. Ok.. no prince for me but conquering a mountain wasnt worth the pain I was feeling. I again got some nice pictures from my leisurely walks but not been able to process them yet. 

On my way along the A470 I also stopped off at the Brecon Reservoir and the Cantref Reservoir. I did not spent the night at either place as I did not feel that I would be able to get any better images at any other time, ie. sunrise or sunset. So I carried on.  



I did stop the night at the Garwnant Visitor center though, or rather in a layby just outside. Some lovely walks to be had in that area with clearly marked paths, which is always a bonus for me who can get lost in her back garden. 



After Garwnant I drove a bit further out and leaving the A470 I visited my last stop of my holiday. The waterfall center at Pontneddfechan has been a goal of mine to visit for a while. It was a lovely place and the waterfalls were just amazing. But what really amazed me that the long walks I took to see the waterfalls were not all there was. Apparently there was some other walks and more waterfalls to be seen, but as I had run out of time it will have to wait for a revisit. 



As mentioned, May has seen some awesome travelling and these images are only a very small example of what I have actually seen and visited. I had a wonderful time, especially as Velma behaved herself and nothing went majorly wrong. The Brecon Beacons certainly are a place that needs to be re-visited in the near future as I only have seen such a small part of it. 

I hope you are all keeping well. Kind greetings... Char xx






No comments:

Post a Comment